THE GATHERING 2013
OUR PARISH FEENAGH/KILMEEDY
28 June 13: An evening at the old parish site Cloncrew. This site contains an old church and graveyard and a survey of the headstones is already well advanced.
06 July 2013: A day entertaining a family from the USA. And a small celebration that evening at Aras Ide, Kilmeedy.
OUR FOCUS IS FRIDAY 20TH AND SATURDAY 21ST OF SEPTEMBER 2013
Friday 20th September 2013:
A special day and evening of celebration to mark the rich heritage of our parish by inviting parishioners and those who live in other places in Ireland and abroad. To join us on the many events that we have to offer.
- A talk on the formation of our villages and their contribution to society.
- A tour of the magnificent church to St.Ita in Kilmeedy and its great historical surrounds.
- Visit the site of the old barracks in both Feenagh and Kilmeedy.
- After a midday snack we plan to visit the local schools of the parish. The pupils and teachers are already setting the lead with beautiful projects on family history and of course not forgetting their cooperation in tracing family names especially those from the 1800’s.
- The clergy continue to play a vital role in our parish and their records available of the baptism and deaths are a valued source of information when linked to the school attendance records. We aim to have a sample of names from school and church records available on the evening.
We already have done a study of the physical landscape and structural changed in our parish of the last 200 years the “New Line” from Clonrooske through Cloncrippa to Ballinruane Wood built after the Great Famine and how this contrasts with older less planed routes.
- The size and change of the fields
- The stone built bridges
- The grain mill on the river Deel
- The creamery at Kilmeedy
- The church at Feenagh Village
We suggest a party would be an ideal end to a great days work and what a better location than the beautifully renovated old school house at Feenagh. We would anticipate a wonderful evening of some social events and for many a time for some reminiscing in the building where many of us received our primary education.
We are putting a formal historical society in place with the enthusiasm and knowledge of the parishioners. The Gathering 2013 is only beginning.
Saturday 21st of September is reserved for any unfinished business.