Kilmeedy Development Group was established in 1996. It’s aim is to:
- develop the resources and people in our community,
- fight rural decline,
- foster social cohesion and inclusion and;
- preserve our local culture and narrative.
Like many other rural communities, we have an ageing population and outward migration. Over the past twenty years we have developed many local initiatives within our community including:
- Local Training Initiative on Healthcare of Children and the Elderly
- Horticulture course and micro-enterprise
- The Ramling House – a monthly get together celebrating and displaying local culture
- Weekly card games
- Tidy Towns initiatives
- Vintage Car Group and annual vintage rally
- Hosting a Community Employment Project that spans across much of West Limerick from Adare to the Mass Rock in Killeedy.
Our most recent project was the refurbishment of the old Garda barracks. It is now home to a community pre-school and after-school and a heritage and archives room. It is also the headquarters for our Community Enterprise Project.
Strictly Feenagh Kilmeedy was a joint fundraising event between Kilmeedy Development Group and Feenagh Kilmeedy G.A.A. Over 700 people attended the Charleville Park Hotel on Friday the 1st April 2016 for what was a hugely successful event.
While the efforts of the dancers and the atmosphere of the audience on the night created a most memorable event what can’t go without mention and gratitude is the huge effort put in by the committees and especially the dancers in the three months preceeding the event.
As part of the advertising and media campaign around the event a dedicated website and facebook page were setup to record the efforts of the community. The Strictly Feenagh Kilmeedy Website can be accessed by clicking the image below: