Kilmeedy Mapped Walks
There are two mapped walks in the village: Walk A – Blue Village Walk – This walk is within the confines of the village and looks at some of the older buildings and sites. The walk takes in the 1) Dispensary, 2) St Ita’s Church – built in 1942, 3) St Ita’s Cemetery containing the ruin of the original 1660’s church, 4) The National School founded in 1928, 5) The Garda Station, 6) The Old Creamery, now used as a forge and finally 7) The Award Winning Voluntary Housing Scheme Fern View
Walk B – Red Scenic Kilmeedy Hill Walk – This walk is just over one and a half miles in lenght over a variety of surfaces so good walking shoes are recommended. This walk passes 1) Aras Ide the Local Resource Centre, and then 2) the Site of the original Primary School, the road rises sharply taking you to the 3) Holy Cross erected to honour the Holy Year of 1950. The Holy Cross overlooks the 5) Fari Field where the Kilmeedy Fair’s took place. The scenic walk now turns onto an 6) ancient roadway which joins the Cloncagh Road to the Ballingarry Road giving spectacular views of County Limerick. The walk turns right onto the Ballingarry Road heading downhill between 7) Quarries where Kilmeedy Sandstone has been quarried for many years. After passing through the 8) Cross of the Glen, you will next meet site of the 9) Glenside Ballroom, home to one of the most popular West Limerick venues in the Showband Era of the 1960’s. The walk finishes by returning along the path in to the Village. Information Sourced from the Map Signs Located beside the Glen Bar in Kilmeedy – See the Signs for the full details of the walk
Ballinruane Woods – Walks
Ballinruane Woods offer two trail walks, one to the East from the car-park approx 5km in length giving views over Ballyhoura, The Golden Vale and the Galtee Mountains in County Tipperary. The shorter approx. 2.5km walk to the west leads to a spectacular panorama view overlooking Counties Clare, Limerick, Tipperary and distant peaks in Counties Cork and Kerry.