A New Design (1)

Weekly Observer Division 1
Rathkeale B 3 Feenagh 7

Holycross in Rathkeale hasn’t been the happiest of hunting grounds for us over the years so this was a win to savour as we completed a treble over Rathkeale B this season in our final game before the upcoming League Cup Final. We hit the front 16 minutes in when Thomas O’Sullivan released Kevin Moore through on goal and Moore finished neatly to the bottom corner of the net. Rathkeale equalised 4 minutes later but we only had to wait another 5 minutes to regain our lead. Luke Ryan displayed some nice dribbling skills before passing to Moore who looped a shot first time from the edge of the penalty area over the keepers head for a fine finish. Further strikes from John O’Gorman and Thomas O’Sullivan put us firmly in command. One more goal was to follow before the interval. Some quick interplay between John Nix, Ryan and Ger O’Gorman saw the latter being released clear on goal and he coolly slotted the ball to the left hand corner of the net. This gave us an unassailable 5-1 half time lead.

The pace of the game slackened after the break with both sides utilising their bench options. Ronan Gilbourne began his career as a striker and showed he still possessed some of his striking instincts by creating space inside the area before shooting just over 10 minutes into the half. To their credit, Rathkeale didn’t throw in the towel and brought the scoreline back to 5-3. We had to wait until the 37th minute to add to our goal haul. Sub Darren Geary was upended in the penalty area and Billy O’Sullivan displayed his usual coolness and accuracy to make the score 6-3. Mike Kehoe was given a run in goals with Dan Gayer being redeployed upfront. Both would make their mark before the games close with Kehoe pushing a goal bound effort onto the crossbar with a fine fingertip save and Gayer completing the scoring at the other end as he tapped home a cross from the impressive Moore. That made it 3 goals in 2 games for the goalie cum striker and gave a more accurate reflection to the final scoreline.

Team: Gayer, Nix, Gilbourne, B O’Sullivan, N Geary,  T O’Sullivan, G O’Gorman, D Coleman, Ryan, Moore, J O’Gorman. Subs: D Geary and  Kehoe
Referee: Paul O’Donnell